Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Dr. Franz B. Ferraris

Franz came from South Africa, sometime in the early 1980s I imagine. His first stop however wasn't Almonte, but rather Saskatchewan (likely some fairly remote or at least rural place, like Almonte). I suspect it was Mr. Raymond J. Timmons (CEO of the Almonte General Hospital) who persuaded (lured) Franz to come here (in the late1980s). Since his arrival here, Franz has been an almost instant success, both as a physician and socially. He is known to be obstinate in his medical care of his patients (for example, he does not tolerate smoking or general unwillingness to cultivate healthy habits); and, as for his social skills, he is well-read and has a robust sense of humour, often enlivened by a glass of Champagne (his favourite) or a martini (of which he kindly says I am the ablest author).

Upon his arrival in Almonte with his first wife Terry (who was a South African as well, as beautiful as Franz is handsome), Franz rented the small office in my building at 77 Little Bridge Street, on the main floor, across the hall from my own law practice. He was probably there for two or three years anyway, before buying his own office, a converted residential dwelling at 111 Spring Street conveniently located adjacent to the Hospital. When he first came to my office to meet me (at the behest of Ray Timmons) and to negotiate the commercial lease, he was wearing a waist-length fur coat (probably wolf, if I recall correctly). He struck a very fine figure in those early days, tall, trim, athletic looking, and gilded by that marvellous upper class South African accent, being a delightful mixture of Afrikaans and British if my ear serves me well.

I have met Franz' father (Dante) and maybe even his mother (though I am not certain whether I have just heard of her often or whether I actually met her once). Franz' father was a tall and gentlemanly man, I recall, with the bearing one would expect of a cultivated man. I believe his mother has since passed away. I understand his parents separated many years ago, before Franz and Terry even left South African. Franz has one brother (Stuart) who is a dentist, and who injured himself severely when his sailing yacht blew up, damaging his right hand and arm (the one he needed as a dental surgeon), though I think he has largely recovered.

Franz continued to cultivate a close relationship with a male friend (Peter Schram, also from South Africa) who is now practising medicine in British Columbia. This friend, like many of Franz' friends from South Africa, comes from a well-to-do background, as did Terry. Franz' second wife (Karen) and their children (Erin and Marco) are the joys of his life. Speaking to him of his family is the one time he betrays deep emotion.

Regrettably, Karen has been recently undergoing chemotherapy for bowel and related cancer. The talk on the street is that her condition is not at all promising, though nobody ever broaches the subject with Franz in those terms. Karen has kept a marvellously brave face throughout the entire affair, but it is likewise clear that she suffers the fear and misgivings which anyone would expect under the circumstances.

Denis and I have come to know Marco better, having dined with him and his colleagues from University from time to time. Marco has not the elevated pitch of motivation which I think his father would prefer to see but I have no doubt he’ll eventually get himself settled into something he enjoys doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment