Wednesday, January 23, 2019

James Knatchbull Hugessen and Mary Rosamond Hugessen

As much as I would like to write something singular about the Hugessens, I really cannot do any better than incorporate the following piece from my collection of journal entries entitled "The Toy Box":

The Hugessen 50th Wedding Anniversary - Family, Friends & History

There will be much that is said about Jim and Mary Hugessen this weekend. Yesterday afternoon the large Hugessen family (Jim, Mary, their 5 children, spouses and 14 grandchildren) congregated at St. Paul's Anglican Church on Brougham Street in Almonte together with about seventy or more of their friends to celebrate Jim and Mary's 50th wedding anniversary, which Jim later told me took place exactly 50 years ago on Friday, September 12 , 1958 at 4:00 p.m., precisely the day and time we all foregathered yesterday.

The Church where this celebration took place was effectively built by Mary's ancestors , the Rosamonds (of the local woollen company fame), their names emblazoned in thankful memory throughout the Church. As a related historical aside, I recall that the cornerstone of the Church was laid by Dr. William Mostyn in 1863. Dr. Mostyn (who was the first of what I understand has continued to be to this day an Irish born medical doctor who owned and lived in the large stone house adjacent to the Church) was at that time the first Master of Mississippi Masonic Lodge No. 147, Almonte (of which I was over a century later Master in 1983 - 1984).

Making the Hugessen event even more special, however, was the presence as Celebrant of The Most Reverend Bruce A. Stavert, Archbishop of Quebec and Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of Canada (the original church province created in Canada which includes the dioceses of Montreal, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Fredericton, Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador, Central Newfoundland and Western Newfoundland). If that were not significant enough, most of us in the congregation were astonished to learn that he also just happens to be Mary's brother!

The other reason there will be much said about Jim in particular is that this evening (Saturday) there is a black tie affair being held in Ottawa at the venerable Rideau Club (now on Bank Street) to celebrate his official retirement from the Bench of the Federal Court (though he assures me that the Chief Justice has ways around this imposed retirement - both Jim and Mary are 75 years of age, though everyone finds it hard to believe). Naturally the adult members of his family will be with him on this important occasion, and of course it is no accident that so many celebrations are taking place this weekend when everyone is at hand.

Another coincidence in this sequence of events is that earlier this afternoon, I picked up Alan S. Diner from the railway station in Ottawa. Alan travelled from Toronto to be with Jim and Mary this evening, as Alan was formerly employed as a Clerk to Mr. Justice Hugessen.

But to get back to the anniversary celebration, the church service was very much like most Sunday services, including the usual lessons, prayers, sermon and communion. What distinguished it, however, was that Jim and Mary chose the lessons and the music, and the prayers were tailored to address the occasion at hand. The music in particular moved me, as it was so reminiscent of my days at St. Andrew's College, Aurora when the school of 300 boys, aided by a powerful pipe organ, would literally rattle the large windows in the Chapel with their uplifted voices:

Bring me my bow of burning gold! Bring me my arrows of desire! Bring me my sword - Oh, clouds unfold! Bring me my chariot of fire!

While that in fact was not one of the songs they chose, it was illustrative of the ones they did pick - Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty and Praise, My Soul, The King of Heaven, both powerful and moving hymns. To the credit of the organist (Isobel Kristijan), she did the customary explosion of sound for the last verse of each hymn, thus ensuring that I was brought to tears.

The Communion was singular in that Archbishop Stavert served the host, while Jim and Mary served the wine (which Rev. Rob Davis later informed me was a clear Dubonnet, which made it difficult for Jim to see what was in the chalice). The Readings were by Ross Hugessen and Lys Hugessen; and the Prayers of the People by Jaime Hugessen.

Following our dismissal by the Archbishop from the Church, we all wandered across the adjoining grounds to Jim and Mary's grand home which is located adjacent to the church grounds along the Mississippi River. Here there was set up a marquis with tables and chairs. Champagne and Perrier were offered, along with many delicious hors d'oeuvres handed about by the caterers. While Jim and Mary's guests had had the opportunity at the Church to share the Peace, it was here on the lawn of their home that people really got to chatting with one another. I made a point of introducing myself to as many members of the Hugessen family as possible . I also renewed acquaintances with several people whom I had not seen for quite some time, including Jack Barr's daughter who is married to a Riva, a relative of my parents' ancient friends, Dorothy and Doug Riva, both of whose estates I settled a number of years ago. Mr. Riva is anxious to get his hands on a remarkable wooden chair which Doug Riva gave me following the break-up of their house and move to a retirement residence.

Among the many other guests was Mr. Gilling Goddard, whose late wife, Libby, was a childhood friend with Mary’s mother (who, among other things, started the Girl Guides Company in Almonte at the McCallum Soap Factory located across the River on Water Street, a street which the late R. A. Jamieson, QC was wont to remind me was called that for a reason!).

As Denis and I left the gathering, we both had a very good feeling about the entire affair. I really felt that we had witnessed an historical moment in Almonte's history. Both Jim and Mary had been so generous and gracious throughout, imparting the warmth of fellowship and family to the proceedings.

No comments:

Post a Comment