Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Shirley Evelyn Deugo

Mrs. Shirley Deugo (married to the late George Deugo, plumber) is the daughter of the late Leonard Fulton, who I suspect was the man behind the now famous "Fulton's Pancake House" in Pakenham Township. Today Shirley enjoys the reputation for the being the Queen of Maple Syrup in all of Lanark County and further abroad. Whenever she consults me I quip half in jest and half seriously that she and her family now own more land than they know or can accurately keep track of. Any one movement by Shirley in a family real estate transaction precipitates endless repercussions which are invariably legal nightmares for me usually involving serious Planning Act and Land Transfer Tax issues quite apart from the capital gains tax issues levelled upon her accountant.

As her late husband, George, tended to a more retiring nature, and because I imagine he was quite prepared to bear the deprivation of the record keeping associated with the maple syrup business, Shirley developed a business style which was somewhat aggressive, and certainly direct, though never known by me to be unfair. She did, however, always distinguish herself by getting professional advice (whether legal or accounting, and usually both) before launching herself into any scheme. In all the time I have worked for Shirley, I have never known her to be litigious, though I can't imagine that there were not times when she encountered difficulties with the many people whose paths she crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment