Thursday, January 24, 2019

Scott J. Newton

While I wouldn’t normally be inclined to include someone of the comparatively tender age of Scott Newton in my collection of esteemed members of Almonte society, it is easy to make an exception in this instance. Not only do I consider Scott an illustrious member of our community at this time, I have every conviction that even if I were being overly generous he will prove me right eventually.
Scott has followed in the footsteps of Brian Gallagher and Des Houston, both of whom I have no doubt are exceedingly proud as I am of Scott’s many accomplishments.

My introduction to Scott was first when he was an assistant to Brian and they were together marketing the upcoming provincial legislative changes relating to the deregulation of the hydro-electric business in the Province of Ontario. Then, as always in the future, Scott maintained a low profile but clearly executed his duties with exceeding competence and deliberation. When he later became the Secretary of Mississippi River Power Corporation (and subsequently the more distinguished title of General Manager) he shone as an intellectual star in what was an extremely complicated and esoteric business. Basically he oversaw the construction of the twenty-million dollar renovation to the existing hydro plant in Almonte.

On more occasions than I could possibly recall Scott handled difficult and sensitive matters with incredible precision. Never did he allow himself or the Board to whom he reported coast blindly.  He was always one step ahead of an impending problem or disaster.

His is a quiet demeanour.

No comments:

Post a Comment